Kapotasana and Scorpion in the Building.
This is a sequence without a ton frills or fancy transitions, though there is ample flow. Use ways to ground yourself simply and subtly in between poses and sections of the sequence. Also sensing and feeling the subtle ways your body can lengthen, open, micro-move and untangle itself will afford some interesting discoveries about the right alignment FOR YOU. And it helps to clear your spine and mind for getting into the deep curl of the backbend without pinching. So the idea is more of a ‘ground to extend’ or ‘root to rise’ kind of deal, in addition to TAKE YOUR TIME. Go slow, repeat poses if necessary or if something feels particularly interesting. There is also a lot of focus here on the psoas releasing, which sets up nicely for bending backwards.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Chest/shoulder opener on floor
- Do some kind of grounding exercise or micro-movement to untangle and follow the natural and organic current of energy in your body.
Surya Namaskar A
Do some kind of grounding exercise or micro-movement to untangle and follow the natural and organic current of energy in your body.
Warrior lunges a la Christina Sell- (step your right foot forward into a lunge, stretching up to go back. Spin to the back of your mat to get left leg in the lead. Then a vinyasa and walk your hands back to your feet to end up at the front of your mat but facing the back of it. Start that time with the left foot. Repeat this 2 more times.)
From the middle of your mat…
- Standing back arch
Jump feet wide in between poses, I minute timings…
- Vira 1
- Vira 2
From front of mat step foot back, I minute timing each pose…
- Twisted thigh stretch/ runners stretch/ Parvritta Parsvakonasana with knee down
- Psoas opener to Vira 1- (make two 90 degree angles with your legs in a lunge. Move your waist back. Lengthen your spin. Keep your hips steady as you swivel your back heal down into making a Vira 1 leg.)
- Anjaneyasana hands clasped behind back
- Anjaneyasana tugging on mat
- Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Camatkarasana/ pigeon (the foot the stepped back in wild thing is the knee that comes ofrward into pigeon)
- Vasistasana/hanumanasana (the leg that’s up in vasi is the front leg of hanumanasana)
- Kapinjalasana/pigeon (leg that’s up is the knee that’s down in pigeon)
Supta virasana 3min
- Urdvha Dhanurasna x 3-5 (make one of them a prep for Kapotasana by bending your right knee and tucking your right foot in as far back as you can towards your head and placing that right shin down. Curl your head into your foot. Come out. Then do the left leg)
- Dwi Pada Viparritti Dandasana x2
- Kapotasana x2
- Scorpion from Pincha Mayurasana
- Handstand (for pure length and extension of the spine)
Wide Uttanasana against wall (stand facing the wall about 6 to 12 inches away with your feet outer hip width apart. Fold forward and lean your back against the wall. Straighten your legs and spread your back against the support of the wall.)
- Janu Sirsasana
- Supta Padangustasna/supine twist/supine twist with legs in garudasana/figure 4 (all of that with same side and then switch)
Feet as wide as mat, knees lean into each other